Recent Completed Project on ‘Root Cause Failure Analysis of a Broken Shaft’
ETD was requested to provide a quotation to perform Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCA) of a broken shaft from a shiploader for a Middle Eastern Power Plant..
The scope of the work carried out included:
- Visual and dimensional examination of the failed sample including surface appearance;
- Chemical analysis of base material to determine the chemical composition of the sample material to establish actual material constituents;
- Metallographic examination of the sample using optical microscopy to assess the condition of material degradation and also to identify the damage mechanism(s);
- Fractographic examination of the sample using SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) for the detailed assessment of damaged surface;
- Hardness testing and evaluation to determine the equivalent tensile strength values (using published hardness/UTS correlation tables) to assess the mechanical strength of the sample materials;
- Basic review of design drawings, operating parameters, previous failure and maintenance history.
- Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCA) based on the findings of above investigations.
- Report covering results of investigations, RCA results and recommendations for any further actions to be taken for safe operation of the component.
For more information about ETD’s Failure Analysis services, please click here.