Recent Completed Project on 'Failure Analysis of Economiser Tubes' for a Middle Eastern Power Plant
Following recent findings of a leakage ETD were approached to carry out root cause failure analysis on an economiser tube removed from a coal-fired power plant in the Middle East.
ETD Consulting (ETD) has been involved in a number of consultancy projects and is internationally considered to be an industry expert in matters concerning power plant materials, operation, maintenance, inspection and life assessment, failure analysis, particularly for issues related to carbon steel, low alloy steel & P91/ T91 steel components. ETD has been involved in a number of failure analyses including root cause analysis of damage mechanism, inspection and consultancy projects concerning carbon & all alloy steels for power plants worldwide.
The objectives and scope of the work to be carried out was:
- Visual and dimensional examination of the tube sample including internal deposit, appearance and condition of tube surfaces;
- Macroscopic analysis to assess the physical appearance of tube/weld joint;
- Metallographic examination of the tube sample using optical microscopy to assess the condition of internal and external surfaces, weld joint, material degradation and also to identify the damage mechanism(s);
- Further assessment of selected tube area by using SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) to confirm the damage mechanism(s), if necessary;
- Hardness testing and evaluation to determine the equivalent tensile strength values (using published hardness/UTS correlation tables) to assess the mechanical strength or softening of the tube materials or welds;
- Chemical analysis of base material to determine the chemical composition of the tube material to establish actual material constituents;
- Chemical analysis of internal oxide/ deposits to determine the presence of impurities and constituents that may lead to the failure (depends on the oxide thickness), if necessary;
- Basic review of design drawings, operating parameters, previous failure and maintenance history;
- Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCA) based on the findings of above investigations to determine the actual causes of damage mechanism(s);
- Report covering results of investigations, failure analysis, detail explanation of root causes & recommendations for any further actions to be taken to prevent reoccurrence of failures and for safe operation of the component.
ETD has established expertise in the failure analysis. For more information about our failure analysis services please click here.