ETD is pleased to announce the successful recent completion of a failure analysis project. A Middle Eastern power plant invited ETD to submit a proposal to carry out failure analysis of 3 (three) links chain samples removed from the failed/ damaged areas. The work involves performing chain failure analysis study including root cause analysis of damage mechanism(s) based on laboratory testing and assessment on the removed chain samples.
The work carried out included:
- Firstly, visual and dimensional examination was performed in order to assess any obvious issues with the quality of surface appearance of the samples, corrosion damage, past repairs and any other signs of distress etc and to select representative locations for more detailed investigation such as locations of the exact failed areas or where the presence of any defects/ corrosion has been detected.
- Secondly, metallographic examination was completed on sections through the wall of the chain samples using optical microscopy. This enabled the condition of surfaces to be assessed and the damage mechanism(s) to be identified. The microstructure was then examined for evidence of degradation and to identify the damage mechanism(s).
- Next, hardness testing and evaluation was performed on the chain material to assess the mechanical condition of the material. The measured hardness values were converted to equivalent tensile strength values (using published hardness/UTS correlation tables, ASME standards etc) to assess the mechanical strength or softening of the chain materials.
- Then, chemical analysis of the base material concluded to determine the chemical composition of the chain material to establish actual material constituents which will be compared against standard design specification.
- Once we had the results from above, Root Cause Failure analysis (RCA) was carried out based on the detailed information gathered on respective components.
- Lastly, a report was issued detailing the findings with photographic records including test results, images, detail explanation of root causes and highlighting any possible causes for concern and the chain integrity. The report also included recommendations for possible remedial actions that may prevent re-occurrence of failures and improve component integrity.
For more information about our failure analysis services please click here.