ETD is pleased to announce the successful recent completion of a remaining life assessment project.
A European based power plant approached ETD to submit a proposal on Remaining Life Assessment (RLA) of one of their boilers. The work involved performing on-site inspections - ultrasonic thickness measurements (UT) of tubes (wall thickness & bore oxide scale), replication, hardness measurements of selected components from FSOH and ROH. The inspection data was then used to estimate tube metal temperature and identify material degradation which could then be used for damage assessment and predicting the remaining life of outlet headers and tubes of final superheater & reheater.
The scope of the work included:
- Reviewing the drawings of FSOH & ROH, tube banks of the boiler to be studied and identify accessible test locations for on-site inspections;
- Performing on-site ultrasonic thickness (UT) measurements of tube wall thickness and bore oxide scale considering ~40% of total tubes for FSOH & for ROH;
- Performing on-site replication and hardness measurements on straight tubes, T-piece nozzle weldments, stub tube weldments and hot reheat pipe weldment for FSOH & ROH;
- Assessment of all replicas by using OM (optical microscope) and to confirm the damage condition, further assessment of selected P/T/F91 & T23 replicas by using SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) and if necessary, to confirm the damage condition, further assessment of selected P/T/F91 replicas by using ETD’s SFM (Scanning Force Microscope) at ETD lab;
- Assessment of damage and material degradation of outlet headers, tubes, T-piece nozzle weldments, stub tube weldments and hot reheat pipe weldments for FSOH & ROH based on the replication and hardness measurements data;
- Review & interpretation of UT inspection data and estimation of wall thickness loss & tube metal temperature;
- Assessment of the remaining life of FSOH & ROH components based on estimated tube metal temperature and other inspection data;
- Review & analysis of previous failures, inspection and maintenance data for other pressure parts of the boiler to complete the life assessment study;
- Preparing a full report including results of on-site inspections, analysis results of damage & life assessment study and make recommendations for any further actions to be taken for safe and reliable operation of the boiler.
For more information on our remaining life assessment services, please click here.